I made this blog to share the lives of our identical twin girls Chaya and Anjali, born on May 9, 2011. We are so happy to finally have our own little family, after 7 years of trying. After 2 cycles of intrauterine insemination, and 3 cycles of in vitro fertilization, we are proud parents at last!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
We're a month old, no sleep for you!
Mommy with Anjali in a sling
Chaya (left) and Anjali (right)
Anjali and Chaya (she's sucking on her onesie looking for milk)
So here we were telling people who would ask about how it was going with twins.. "Oh, it really isn't that bad, they hardly ever cry, they sleep a lot, they're pretty easy!" And then they turned one month old. Our sweet little girls turned into crying starving little monsters. During the day. Thankfully, they are still sleeping well at night, going between 2 and 3 and a half hours between feedings, and going to sleep pretty quickly. During the day is another story, little girlies now want to stay awake more. Luckily it's mostly been one baby at a time who wants to stay awake, so I can entertain one at a time. They are crying a lot more now too, watch out if it's feeding time, and you don't whip out that boob fast enough! They scream so loud at times, it surprises us. We can't complain too much though, they don't really cry for that long, usually if they aren't hungry, then they just want to be held, or suck on a pacifier. We've been using our various slings around the house at times, they just hang in there while we do stuff around the house, and seem quite content. I even put Anjali in a sling and played the piano for her, she liked it! Chaya woke up, and I put her in her bouncy seat on the table right behind me, so she could enjoy the music as well. That was nice, I had always looked forward to playing the piano for my babies. All this action means taking daytime naps pretty difficult, but it's pretty surprising how you can adjust to lack of sleep. I felt like such a zombie our first weeks home with them, I was SO tired in the evenings... but now even though I'm only getting a little more sleep at night, I feel pretty good during the day.
I'm thinking they may be going through growth spurts. After talking about it with the pediatrician, she said we could try putting them on a 3 hour feeding schedule during the day. So I started trying to make them wait a bit longer between feedings, by entertaining them, using pacifiers, taking them on walks (only possible in the mornings and evenings right now I'm afraid!), reading to them, playing the piano.. this seemed to work ok the first day, but on day 2, they absolutely did not want to wait for 3 hours. They cried and cried, they didn't want to calm down until I would feed them. That was a difficult day for me, no naps, always one baby awake with me the whole day. No time for phone calls or internet. I now really understood what it meant to have twin babies at home. It's quite a job! On day 3, I decided to give up on the idea of a feeding schedule for now, and just keep feeding them on demand.. that is waiting for one baby to wake up, and then waking the other to feed her as well.
Daddy and Chaya relaxing in bed
Chaya and Anjali
Chaya and Anjali (can you tell which one is mellower?)
Chaya and Anjali
Mommy and Chaya
Anjali (left) and Chaya (right)
Anjali and Chaya (photo shoots are never a good idea when it's feeding time!)
Adina's thinking "What is wrong with those things??!"
No comments:
Post a Comment