Saturday, June 11, 2011

Diastasis recti.. goodbye bikinis

What is diastasis recti? It's the separation on your abdominal muscles, which is fairly common in multiple pregnancies. Great. I had heard about it, but wasn't sure yet if it had happened to me or not. Then I read about it online, and realized that yes, my abdominal muscles have definitely separated, so much so that I can actually see my intestines bubbling under my skin right above my belly button. Yes, you read that right. Pretty weird. My belly doesn't hurt anymore, but if I'm laying down, and I lift up my head to make my abs contract, there's this weird ridge that pops up that runs up and down (from above the belly button down towards the pubis). That's how you know if you have diastasis recti. The first time I noticed this after coming home from the hospital, it freaked me out. I was wondering what the heck was wrong with my stomach. I showed Prosanta. I thought maybe it was just me healing that made it look funny, but now I know. Apparently, in some cases, it heals on its own, in other cases it can be fixed surgically, especially if an umbilical hernia is also present.. which I'm wondering about, since my belly button is still sticking out. Oh geez. The things we go through to become mothers. Next obgyn appointment is in a few weeks, I will be asking her all about this, and what can be done about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment