Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mini beach vacation in Mississippi

We decided to go away for a weekend.. for a mini beach vacation in Bay St. Louis! It's on the Gulf of Mexico, and it's only 2h15 away. I read about it online and it sounded like a cute beach town, one of my friends recommended it also, she had been there many times. I found a few rentals online and settled on a cute looking small cottage 2 blocks from the beach.

We left Baton Rouge on friday around 4pm. When we arrived we got to our "house". I say this because when we got to the address, I couldn't believe how big the house looked! It didn't look at all like the pictures I had seen online, it was so much nicer and bigger! The owner said she would leave the door unlocked, so we went to the front door, but it was locked. Then I went to the back to see if there was another entrance, and that's when I realized that the place we were staying in was this TEENY TINY little shack behind this big beautiful house! We found it pretty funny.. It was cute and cozy, but when we walked in, the smell of mildew kind of turned me off, but oh well, what are you gonna do.

It's a small studio "apartment", with a queen size bed, a couch and recliner. There's a bathroom, and also a laundry/utility room. Oh and did I mention it was about 15 feet from a railroad track? Trains went by day and night VERY often, kind of annoying at night, kept us and the babies up the first night.

We went out to dinner friday night. We drove to a place we saw in a little menu brochure, but couldn't find it, so we went to another place. The girls slept almost the whole meal. Got back to our place, and went to bed.

Our second day, we were quite tired when we got up since the girls woke up VERY often that night. The train probably didn't help, but also they might have been cold. The AC was right above them, and you couldn't really set it to a temperature, only high or low. It was on low., but it was still quite cold in the room. And it would be too hot if we turned it off. So that morning, after their first meal around 5am, we all went back to bed, and I slept until about 9am! After that, we had a little bit to eat, fed the babies again, and then walked around Old Bay St. Louis, looking for a breakfast place.

We found a cute little place called Buttercup, and had a nice breakfast. After, we crossed the street to an antique store (Prosanta loves looking at old crap ;). Then, we went back to our place, and got ready to go to the beach! Had to drive around a little to find the beach.. one that wasn't under construction that is! Our place is 2 blocks away, we could've walked to the beach, but that section was closed off due to construction of a sea wall. So we had to drive and did finally find a nice beach near a fishing dock. It wasn't very crowded at all. The sand was nice and fine, the water was so nice and warm! We took turns going in the water. We set up a shade canopy we got just before the trip. Babies hung out mostly in the jogging stroller, Chaya slept in there most of the time we were at the beach. Anjali was awake. I brought snacks for us to eat while there. We had a fun afternoon, the weather was beautiful. The only complaint I have is the biting flies! They were quite annoying.

After the beach, we headed back home, got cleaned up, rested a little.. and then headed out to dinner. After dinner, we walked around town and found a cute café that was still open. We went in there, had a few beverages (I even had a beer after breastfeeding). It was delicious in fact, from a brewery in Mississippi called Lazy Magnolia, I had a Spiced Summer ale, so good! We then headed home and got ready for bed. This time, we covered part of the pack 'n' play that was facing the AC with a blanket, and dressed the babies in pyjamas under their swaddlers, to make sure they wouldn't be cold. Must've done the trick, they slept from 10pm until 6am!

Sunday morning, we got up, I fed the babies, and then we got ready to go to the beach again before heading back to Baton Rouge. It was another beautiful day. I went in the water a while, we even saw about 5 dolphins swim by in the distance, feeding on some fish! It was amazing to see. We also saw about 4 stingrays near the shore. They were so cute.

We had a great weekend getaway. It was nice to be away, have fun, and not have to worry about work and other things... just relax! It was a cute town, but it's pretty small, and even though we had a great time, we probably will explore another area next time we go away. Maybe drive a little further east to Alabama or Florida, where the water isn't so brown.






































No comments:

Post a Comment