Yes, you read that right, it is possible to start potty training a very young baby... and we started this on Christmas day! A friend of mine did this with her daughter, the process is called Elimination Communication, and you can start at birth. Her daughter stopped pooping in her diaper and only used the potty for poops starting at 3 months old!
You start sitting your baby on the potty, making a noise, saying a word, and/or making a sign every time they "go" on the potty. Timing is key, you want to try to place them on the potty when they have to go. I started when I saw that Anjali was starting to poop in her diaper (grunting), I ran to get the potty, took off her diaper and sat her on it, making the sign for "potty". She actually kept pooping right away when I sat her down and made her very first potty poop! ;) I was so excited, I didn't know if she would get scared of the potty or distracted and not do anything. But ever since then, our babies have been using the potty for poop and pee many times a day, every day! It's amazing how comfortable they are with it, of course, there are times when they don't want to be on it, because they're tired or don't have to go. In this case, I just take them off, make the sign for "All done" and put back their diaper. I usually sit them on the potty when they wake up in the morning or from naps, and after breastfeeding or eating solids, and a few times in between, when they haven't gone in a while. They're getting really good at it, I'm so proud of them! Hoping for the day when they start making the sign for "potty" when they have to go, that'll be so exciting! Here are a few cute potty pictures of Anjali, don't worry, nothing graphic! ;)
 |
| Anjali using the potty for the first time! |
 |
| Anjali on the potty, on Christmas day |
 |
| I like to potty! |
 |
| Anjali on the potty |
No comments:
Post a Comment